Request for Proposals
May 3, 2017 , This proposal has been awarded
MIDDLETOWN TREE COMMISSION
REQUEST FOR QUOTATIONS
Valley Park is a new 40 acre Town park, recently developed along High Street in Middletown, behind the CVS on East Main Road. Several phases of planting are planned over several years. Phase one will be awarded for this year’s planting.
An aerial view looking north is shown below.
VALLEY PARK PHASE ONE PLANTING SPECIFICATIONS
- Quotations for 2017 spring planting at the park shall be based upon the provided plant list in the quantities and sizes specified.
- Varietal substitutions shall not be attempted as one of the objectives of the park is to create plant diversity. All varieties shall be quoted. If there are issues with timing of availability we can consider an adjusted planting timeline on some plants.
- Planting locations will be staked out in advance by the commission and stakes will be marked with plant variety.
- All trees shall be staked and mulched in a 3 foot circle to a depth of 3”. Wood chips are acceptable and should be tapered down to the trunk.
- Plants shall be guaranteed for one year.
- Watering of the trees shall be the responsibility of the contractor for the first season and the need shall be based upon weather patterns.
Planting shall be supervised by a licensed arborist.
Phase One Planting Species List
MIDDLETOWN VALLEY TREE PLANTING BID LIST
|All Measurements are Caliper Unless Noted|
|PINUS STROBUS-WHITE PINE||3||10-12’||height|
|THUJA PLICATA-WESTERN ARBORVITAE||7||10-12’||height|
|ABIES CONCOLOR- WHITE FUR||6||8-10’||height|
|PICEA ABIES-NORWAY SPRUCE||5||10-12’||height|
|PICEA OMORIKA-SERBIAN SPRUCE||2||10-12’||height|
|ULMUS PARVIFLORA-CHINESE ELM||4||2-2 ½”|
|ACER SACCHARUM-SUGAR MAPLE||4||2-2 ½”|
|QUERCUS PALUSTRIS-PIN OAK||3||2-2 ½”|
|GINKGO BILOBA-MAIDENHAIR TREE||3||2-2 ½”|
|QUERCUS MACROCARPA-BUR OAK||2||2 ½-3”|
|NYSSA SYLVATICA-TUPELO||6||2-2 ½”|
|ACER RUBRUM SPECIES-RED MAPLE||14||2-2 ½”|
|TAXODIUM DISTICHUM-BALD CYPRESS||2||3-3 1/2”|
|TILIA CORDATA-‘GREENSPIRE’ LINDEN||3||2-2 ½”|
|CEDRUS ATLANTICA GLAUCA-BLUE||3||6-7’||height|
|LIRIODENDRON TULIPIFERA-TULIP||3||2-2 ½”|
|AESCULUS CARNERA ‘FORT MCNAIR-||5||2 ½-3”|
|RED HORSE CHESTNUT|
|CERCIDIPHYLLUM JAPONICUM-||2||2-2 ½”|
|JAPANESE KATSURA TREE|
|LIQUIDAMBER STYRACIFLUA-||3||2-2 ½”|
|ZELKOVA SERRATA-GREEN VASE||3||2-2 ½”|
|CLADRASTUS KENTUKEA-YELLOWWOOD||1||2-2 ½”+|
|QUERCUS BICOLOR-SWAMP WHITE OAK||3||2-2 ½”+|
|GLEDITSIA INERMIS-SHADEMASTER||3||2-2 ½”+|
|BETULA NIGRA CLUMP-RIVER BIRCH||3||12-14’||height|
|ULMUS PRICETON OR NEW HARMONY-||6||2-2 ½”|
|TILIA AMERICANA ‘REDMOND’-LINDEN||3||2 ½-3”|
|QUERCUS RUBRA-RED OAK||4||2-2 ½”|
|PLATANUS ACERIFOLIUM-LONDON||3||2-2 ½”|
|QUERCUS COCCINEA SCARLET||3||2-2 ½”|
|QUERCUS ROBUR FASTIGIATA||4||2 ½-3”|
|ENGLISH COLUMNAR OAK|
|CARPINUS BETULUS FASTIGIATA||4||2 ½-3”|
Since the planting will be done on Town property, the Town has made these requirements during planting:
All people working on the site must wear reflective clothing.
Evidence of insurance is required.
The Town will create access points before planting begins and only those access points can be used.
All soil must remain on the site and if needed, shall be deposited and spread in designated areas in the park.
If walkways are disturbed or damaged during planting, they shall be returned to their original condition by the contractor.
Equipment left on the site overnight shall be left in an designated area.
Other requirements may be included.
There will be a site visit at Valley Park on Wednesday, April 12th at 1 PM. Please park in the parking area on O’Neil Blvd. behind the CVS on East main Road, Middletown. Members of the Commission will be there to review the plan and answer questions.
Bids must be received by the end of the business day on Wednesday, April 26th.
Middletown Tree Commission
Middletown Town Hall
350 East Main Road
Middletown, RI 02842